Clear, fast, accurate identification
In just minutes, VITEK MS can provide single-choice identifications at the species, genus, or group level. With both VITEK MS and the VITEK 2, clinicians receive quick information to adjust therapy for better overall patient care and outcomes.
bioMérieux’s proprietary Advanced Spectra Classifier offers robust and accurate results needed for optimal patient-care decisions. The VITEK® MS system reads each spectrum as a series of peaks that are detected and sorted by mass and intensity. With the use of the Advanced Spectra Classifier, better discrimination is provided as every peak is considered in the calculation of the identification result.
HOW MALDI-TOF works
- The target slide is prepared and introduced to a high-vacuum environment.
- A precise laser burst ionizes the sample.
- A “cloud” of proteins is released and accelerated by an electric charge.
- After passing through the ring electrode, the proteins’ Time of Flight is recorded using a formula from the time recorded.
- Proteins are detected with a sensor to create a spectrum that represents the protein makeup of each sample.
Comprehensive, regularly-updated database
VITEK® MS V3.2.0 is a CE-marked database. Population-built, it allows for better discrimination between species and accounts for diversity among strains within the same species. You get robust and accurate performance with no need to modify scores.
Spectra for each species are included; these are generated from:
- An average of >12 isolates/species and average of 35 spectra/species
- Geographical diversity of isolates
- Isolates of different sample origins (e.g. blood, tissue, etc.)
- Isolates subcultured on different media
- Isolates from different incubation times
New additions! Stay up to date and current with new and emerging pathogens: VITEK® MS V3 / KB V3.2.0
The VITEK® MS IVD CE-marked database is consistently expanding to add new emerging pathogens and clinically relevant species. With the most recent update, anaerobes, moulds, yeast, and mycoplasma as well as Brucella, Candida auris and Elizabethkingia anophelis are among the significant new species that have been added to the new VITEK® MS V3.2.0 database. This follows a previous update that included Mycobacteria, Nocardia and moulds.
The expanded database enables you to reliably identify 1,316 species, with an average of 12 strains/species covering microbial and technical variability.
Important new additions in the VITEK® MS V3.2.0 IVD CE-marked database are:
- Brucella: Rare but difficult to recognize and hazardous. VITEK® MS is the first MALDI-TOF System to include Brucella in its IVD-CE marked database. Reduce exposure with rapid, safe and accurate ID!
- Candida auris: An emerging multidrug-resistant fungal pathogen, associated with high mortality and commonly misidentified
- Elizabethkingia anophelis: A once-harmless microbe that has now evolved into a pathogen causing increased infection in ICU patients
The update includes 217 new bacteria species including 40 anaerobes.
- 55 new fungal species
- Differentiation within the Acinetobacter baumanii complex: now Acinetobacter baumannii, Acinetobacter calcoaceticus, Acinetobacter nosocomialis, and Acinetobacter pittii
- Differentiation between Proteus penneri and Proteus vulgaris
- Addition of Mycoplasma pneumoniae to the IVD-CE marked database (non-clinically validated species in the US IVD database)
- Database also contains: Mycobacteria, Nocardia, and moulds, among them Mycobacteriatuberculosis (TB), non-tuberculous mycobacteria (NTM), dermatophytes and dimorphic fungi, including the most prevalent species relevant to patient infections.
VITEK® MS v3 / KB v3.2.0 is pending 510(k) clearance and is not available for commercial sale in the United States.
Optimized workflow and Seamless ID/AST integration
VITEK® MS is designed specifically for optimized workflow in the microbiology laboratory. Its 4-slide capacity enables parallel preparation of samples by four different technologists at separate workstations, with placement on the instrument at the same time. With 48 sample spots per target slide, 192 isolates can be tested per run
- Guided slide preparation for ID and connection with AST using the VITEK® MS Prep Station
- Very few steps to obtain a result – same day ID and AST(with VITEK 2) results
- Less hands-on time to focus on more value added tasks
- Variable throughput for large and small labs (1-192 samples/run)
MYLA®, bioMérieux’s advanced middleware solution, offers real-time reporting and seamless integration of the ID and AST results from VITEK® MS and VITEK® 2.
VITEK® SOLUTIONS: Complete traceability and flexibility
Along with VITEK® 2, VITEK® MS is part of our integrated ID/AST** and blood culture offer, combined to meet both your routine and critical testing needs. With our offer, you leverage your expertise to deliver test results that impact timely, appropriate therapy.
VITEK® MS provides complete traceability and flexibility that contributes to overall lab efficiency and confidence.
- Barcodes on reagents and disposables provide traceability by automatically linking ID with AST results for each isolate.
- Disposable slides:
- Reduce risk of erroneous results from contamination
- Reduce chemical safety hazard issues.
- 3 acquisition areas or groups, each with a calibration spot
- Automatic verification of operation, tuning and alignment is transparent to the user.
Please consult your local bioMérieux representative for product availability in your country